FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hey Everybody

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey Everybody
    Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 12:05am
Welcome to the forum, i have a leapers 8-32x56 here with a 100mm side wheel if your interested .
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Davey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 6:24pm
Other thoughts - large scopes raised up high changed the recoil pattern and take a bit of getting used to.

For a high scope you really need an adjustable buttpad so that you can keep the centre of recoil in line with your shoulder. If I could have fit a nice low bushnell 32x on my FWB124 I would have but unfortunately the break barrel makes it a no-go.

Edited by Davey - 18 Jun 2015 at 6:24pm
Steyr LG110, Falcon T35, JSB 8.44
TX200, Leupold C35x, JSB 8.44
Davey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 6:17pm
I too came from rimfire ^_^ (f-class, BSA international Mk2)

Got a bit tired of shooting at the same bit of paper

Windage isn't linear so the mildot thing allows you to do easy maths for wind at long ranges.

Actually I have to admit neither of my FT scopes have mildots, I bracket my wind in "killzone widths". If I could buy a 35x Leupy with a mildot I would though :)

Edited by Davey - 18 Jun 2015 at 6:18pm
RobD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Davey Davey wrote:

By the way - you said you've done other shooting so you might be interested to know 1 standard mildot @ 34.3x mag ~ 1MOA. That's part of the reason I like to stick around mid 30's for my magnification. Makes estimating easy.

I've very little experience with mildot reticles but that's very handy to know!
Cheers
AA TX200
RobD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Davey Davey wrote:

Hawke 32x is fine and versatile for starting out. I imagine in combination with the TX it'll be a while before the skill of the shooter moves past the kit, springers being notoriously difficult to shoot well consistently.

Whether it's worth it depends on how much they want for it.

:)

Totally agree! I'd say my 20yrs with rimfire has given me a pretty good skill base and have made some adaptations already since starting with springers. Still much more to learn though and I can't wait to get out there with something decent to look through.

My first week at airgun club I nailed the bull with 5 shots prone freehand with a borrowed hw97k. It was that moment I became hooked and am looking forward to the many challenging aspects of springers and FT.
AA TX200
RobD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by (pink)MIST (pink)MIST wrote:

Nothing wrong with Hawke, and yes, optisan arent easy to come by in NZ :)

Id rate the sidewinder 30 above the leapers, but alot of it will come down to budget and personal preference.
Falcon T50 and T35 are good choices as well, theres a t50 for sake in Hamilton for $600 from memory......

gecado22 on nzairgun still has the T50, might just have a wee looksie Wink
AA TX200
Davey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 4:02pm
By the way - you said you've done other shooting so you might be interested to know 1 standard mildot @ 34.3x mag ~ 1MOA. That's part of the reason I like to stick around mid 30's for my magnification. Makes estimating easy.
Davey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 3:52pm
Hawke 32x is fine and versatile for starting out. I imagine in combination with the TX it'll be a while before the skill of the shooter moves past the kit, springers being notoriously difficult to shoot well consistently.

Whether it's worth it depends on how much they want for it.

:)
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 10:42pm
Nothing wrong with Hawke, and yes, optisan arent easy to come by in NZ :)

Id rate the sidewinder 30 above the leapers, but alot of it will come down to budget and personal preference.
Falcon T50 and T35 are good choices as well, theres a t50 for sake in Hamilton for $600 from memory......
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
RobD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 10:29pm

Have found some club members with spares they may sell. I'm going to check a few out thurs night at local club.
What's the general opinion on Hawke sidewinder30 8-32? Just wonder whether I'll find it to be a "good starter" but soon drooling over something better or are they reasonably capable?

I kinda just wanna put something on there that will get me going, more-so than what I currently have and then take the time to choose what I really want, what I really really want :)

Am probably going to get something 8-32x so leapers, hawke, optisan...
Optisan seems a good choice but hard to find.
leapers and hawke are plentiful.

Really appreciate all the feedback guys, I've been mulling this over for 2 weeks now so getting close to a decision. It was never this difficult for all my other rifle types!!
AA TX200
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic