Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New wood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 3:14pm
Not sure how well it's going to show, but Ive started roughing the pistol grip out, with a RH offset. Still a lot to come off through the thumbhole which will alter the palm area a bit, but it's starting to look nice in the flesh
Once this areas all sorted, I'll mark out and cut the cheekrest to be adjustable, and put fittings in. Then (with cheekrest removed) I'll speedsand the forend to the matching thickness before shaping it (or the trigger hole)

Edited by (pink)MIST - 16 Mar 2015 at 3:18pm
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 3:37pm
Looking good. I see you snuck the SV-6 badge in there too. Thumbs Up
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 12:24am
one does what one can to remind you of the constant rivalry between Holden and ford :)

NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 10:22am
A better view of the shape taking place

NZAFTA President

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 11:45am
Very nice!  I love that moody grain around the grip.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 12:17am
bit more work on the grip area, and trigger hole forming up. Planning to cut the cheekrest and hamster areas to make adjustable, working out tge measurements now.
the whoke grip area is feeling like its starting to fit well,  seems to be taking forever but its a case of file and sand, try it, marked the next area and repeat. Little bit at a time, but getting it to fit nicely this way.

Edited by (pink)MIST - 19 Mar 2015 at 12:19am
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 11:51pm
further shaping  through the grip and trigger hole, some of the grain is really starting to raise nicely now,
got a LOT of sanding to do to get the trigger hole/finger groove set it, but it will look nice when its done. The little bit thats done here was just on an hour with 60grit andva bit of dowel.
fun times ahead :)
ive also marked where the cheekrest wil be cut, leaving plenty of meat to mount riser post etc

Edited by (pink)MIST - 20 Mar 2015 at 11:53pm
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:58pm
this ones just to motivate Paul into making his next one :)
started round the bottom of the forend tonight, and thought id give it a light wipe to show the grain better....
I think this one might end up looking not too bad :) its the hardest one to photograph tho, none of these really show it right.

Edited by (pink)MIST - 22 Mar 2015 at 9:59pm
NZAFTA President

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 7:58am
Oh do behave!
like lightening caught in a photo, like aurora in the sky, the grain doth scream out!

Looking great Brett. Will be interesting to see what effect the hard wood has on recoil. I had put a piece of self actuating tape at the back of the action and I felt that took a little bit of the crispness out of the recoil.

I bedded my stock yesterday and was surprised with the minimal amount of contact the action had with the stock that showed through. Now it fits perfect. I can't help but feel bedding is the way to go, unless you have proper inletting equipment.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 8:47am
Most of the recoil should be dampened by the weight, but I'll probably bed the action anyway just to be pedantic.
There'll be extra weight in this as it extends a lot further forward of the breech, has its pros and cons, but for the bulk of the shots being in the free position it'll work nicely I think.
NZAFTA President

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic