Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laminate stock Series II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 9:06am
Two thumbs up :)
That's gonna be pretty special to look at once it's got a finish applied :)
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 5:24pm
I spent a couple of hours fitting the action and drilling holes. I haven't drilled the stock screw holes in the photo yet but they're done. I fired a couple of shots and the stock absorbs more recoil which is good. I also fitted my revolutionary butt hook. It's a totally different feeling gun, can't wait to actually use it. The cheek rest is about right as it is but actually need to lower it a bit so I don't think I will make it adjustable yet as I may not need to.

Edited by Pauly5 - 23 Jun 2014 at 5:31pm
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 6:18pm
Have you decided on what finish you're going to apply to it?
If you're going to stain it don't use an NGR type stain, as it will hide the laminate lines.
Also, try your finish on a bit of scrap first if you can, gives you the option of using an oil, but feeding colour into the oil first :)
NZAFTA President

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 6:33pm
Not really. I had tested a bit of Tru oil on an off cut and liked that. I like the idea of using an oil I can wet sand with as it gives that baby bum smoothness with out too much gloss. I had used tru oil on an oak stock once and really liked that, plus I have some left over. So I don't really want to stain it anymore than slightly darken the layers for the contrast.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 9:22pm
Oil on laminate will definitely give you contrast :)
Ooooo it's getting close now :)
NZAFTA President

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 7:44pm
I put a few shots through it today and it hit the same spot but poi was higher. I plan to bed the action. Just wondering if I will need to re zero once settled into this stock. I guess fire it heaps and keep screws tight so the stock settles in. Should I epoxy around the bolt holes to strengthen them?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 8:09pm
Can't hurt, I've found star washers work quite well.
POI shift could be bolts done up tighter than before, or slightly off center and pulling the action differently.
As long as they're all hitting the same spot tho, not spraying a shotgun pattern of lead everywhere , then once re zeroed it should be game on as normal
NZAFTA President

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 9:34pm
Good. It's a bit heavier but position wise seems really good. I will need a hook as it's heavier up front.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 10:22pm
I put a couple of coats of tru oil on it now. Sanding between coats with fine grit. It makes the layers stand out nicely. It has a warmth to it. It's not perfect but really pleased with it. I can't wait to get it all finished and use it more.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 10:34pm
I got quite happy with the finish when I got to 8coats on mine , and 600grit wet n dry paper. Almost looked lacquered :)
Looking nice pauly5, can't wait to see it in the line :)
NZAFTA President

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic