Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello
    Posted: 01 May 2014 at 12:05pm
Hi Everyone,

Last weekend I was visiting a friend and he pulled out a couple of Crosman Phantom air rifles. I hadnt shot in years but had so much fun.

I am now looking at getting my own gun, something simialr or slightly better than the Phanton. Can anyone recommend a gun? I will mostly be using it for target shooting, although would like to beable to shoot the odd pest.

Also, what are the rules on importing air rifles into NZ? Do you need a permit?

Thanks
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 12:32pm
Hey buddy
First question would be how much do you want to spend?
There's a lot of seemingly great off the store shelf rifles, with huge performance numbers that don't generally equate to what you end up with :)
My advice, and I'm sure nunga will testify to it as well, is to buy a good quality brand, air arms, weirauch, Diana, those sorts. You'll pay a bit more for a new one, but there's a few second hand ones turning up for good prices as well, and they are quality that will last. You'll also find the power ratings and accuracy a lot more consistent , no point hunting anything with a rifle that shoots all over the place - not even tin cans.

I have a weirauch 97 for sale, and know of a air arms tx200 that will be available as well, tx will be about 600-700 no scope or mounts , the weirauch is for sale on here, bit more but you get scope, mounts , cleaning rod, and enough pellets to last a long time.

With the cheaper brands, you'll get a financial bargain in the beginning, but it'll deteriorate quickly, and to get it worthy of any accuracy you'll be spending more money on it, and it still won't compare to a better one.

Importing is tricky, yes you'll need permits, and you'll also get hit with gst when they arrive before customs will release them.
Your best bet is to try some first and see what you can get for your money.
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 1:08pm
It also depends on what you call target shooting. If you are talking about the odd paper targets or tin cans setup in the back yard for a bit of fun then any run on the mill air rifle will be fine. If you are talking about competition target shooting, then do as (Pink)Mist says. Do not waste your money on cheap guns get quality from the start it will save you big bucks in the long run!

Oh yea.. And welcome to the forums! :)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 3:17pm
True, backyard plinking needent be expensive, but for the cost if some of the "better" "cheap" guns, you can get something that is capable of plinking, pest control, and target grade accuracy, and will last to be passed on to your kids as well.
A good brand will hold it's resale value as well
NZAFTA President

Guyh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 6:36pm
Thanks for the replies,

I really don't want to spend more than $500, so I guess really in the cheap range.
If I really get into it I can always upgrade at a later date.
When I say target shooting, it will be more of the back yard thing, nothing competitive, that being said, I would still like to be able to have mates around and show off my tight groupings :)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 7:04pm
In that case I'd say something like a phantom or Optimus from crosman, with the trigger redone by nunga :) his ones bloody nice!
Or..... A crosman 2250 , co2, plenty accurate and fun, but their barrel mounted scope sucks.
A daisy power line 650 is target grade accuracy, bit down in power for pests tho

If you found a good qb79 on trademe that's a good allrounder as well
NZAFTA President

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:53pm

What about this one? 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=722553562

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 12:20am
That one I can attest to its accuracy, belongs to a North Harbour Airgun Club member, and only last weekend I was looking at it in the flesh.
Beautiful gun, very accurate once you learn to shoot it, plenty of power for tin cans and pests as well.
The guy that owns it looks after his gear, so you wont be stuck with a rifle needing money spent on it anytime soon.
And the price is definately right, coming in cheaper than most off the shelf cheapies

google Weirauch HW95 and youll hear nothing but praise from their owners

(all that positivity about a weirauch.............from an Air Arms owner! Its the Holden vs Ford battle of the airgun world)

Edited by (pink)MIST - 02 May 2014 at 12:22am
NZAFTA President

Guyh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 9:23am

I ended up getting a Hatsan mod 125. I have only shot a few pallets so far but im enjoying it so far. The trigger is really nice compared to some other the other guns I tried.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 9:34am
Talk nice to nunga, he knows how to sort them out and make them quite accurate .
Good solid rifle tho
NZAFTA President

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic