Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

laminate stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 10:40pm

NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:50pm
colour not first choice or original plan ( and may get changed yet as well) also found an issue with the alternating grain direction, means this one has some "pitting" appearance to it, but has also given me an idea of how to finish the next one differently.
gave it a light polish before installing the action, man has this thing got some weight to it, but it feels right, and it sits nicely with good balance, now jjust to get out and see how this stock shoots........next sunday's job.

NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 9:06pm
Managed to get a couple of shots with the new stock on late Sunday afternoon , the little extra weight she's carrying now makes it sit a lot more solidly in the hold, and has reduced what minimal recoil there was to almost zero.
Quite a "dead" feel to it through the shot cycle, feels nice.
Problem though was the shots seemed to be straying a little, but I found an easy remedy - put the main stock to action bolt in :)
Bit of an amateur mistake leaving that one out, but the impressive part is how much accuracy trained, given it literally wasn't bolted into the action (it is a snug fit tho)
Makes other peoples complaints of broken front stock mounts seem insignificant :)
Now to get some daylight to try it all bolted in :)
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 10:15pm
The finish just wasn't right, so I opted to get the sandpapers back out and inhale copious more amounts of wood dust :)
I also figured while I'm covered in dust I might as well make some more and do a rollover comb , why not, the dust smells good :)
Lots of sanding followed those decisions..... And I got to a point where I need to start getting the grains to all sit down and start showing themselves off properly, so I coated it generously in mirotone finishing oil, and started wet sanding it.
I think the laminates are starting to show off better now, this is after 1 coat, a wet sand (320grit) , and another coat. It'll only get more defined from here, but this'll give you an idea :)

NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 10:37pm
This should define the lines better, and the mirotone oil can have other finishes on top of it (stains, lacquer, etc)
Will see how it tones up, but may introduce a light walnut or rimu stain to help it if it looks like it's not getting dark enough.

Then it's getting 2pot, and I won't be in a hurry to sand that back afterwards :)
NZAFTA President

Davey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 7:42am
WOW!

I wouldn't stain that at all, just keep oilsanding!

That contrast looks insane.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 9:24am
as above :)
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 8:24pm
I like it like that too. The finish seems to bring out a depth in the layers.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 10:55pm
Yup , I'm thinking the same thing, not quite in the colour range I was originally intending but sometimes plans are made on the fly :)
Anyway , 4 coats of mirotone, drying time and 400grit between each coat. Final oil went in tonight and was buffed in with 900 grit. Then rubbed smooth with a cotton material. Ready to get sprayed, just sitting in the HWC now drying up.

Drying

Wet

Edited by (pink)MIST - 17 May 2014 at 10:56pm
NZAFTA President

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 10:20am
If you keep staring at the thumb hole it's hypnotic. Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic