Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hatsan mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hatsan mods
    Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 9:14am
I have started to strip down my Hatsan mod125 last night. I will be doing two things to it. First be doing a mod on the single stage trigger it has as this is the older pre quattro trigger version.  Second i will be down tuning it to around 800fps which will involve ether cutting the spring or fitting one of my gas rams to it. But I think the gas ram will be the way to go.

My reasons for this are simple. The hatsan is a very heavy gun and with a less powerful spring/ram installed there should little to no recoil and if my trigger mod works the way i want then it will be a very accurate air rifle.

I will start on the trigger tonight and post some photos and more info on what i will be doing tomorrow.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 9:52pm
Well here are some pictures of what i am up to.

I have got the trigger apart and this is what it looks like side on put together and resting on the outside of the housing. Note there are no springs installed. The trigger is in the "cocked" position.

The trigger blade and the first lever it contacts are plastic. the other two top bits are metal.

This is what it looks like when you pull the trigger and the trigger is not cocked. as you can see the contact point where the plastic lever pushes the first bit of metal. This is the part where i will do my mod. I will be taking part of the plastic corner off to move the contact point further up the metal. this will reduce the amount of force needed to move everything and give a smother trigger action.

(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 11:33pm
Watching , interested to see this as it progresses ....
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 9:08pm
After some thought I decided not to do the trigger mod just yet. I came to the conclusion it would be a waste of time before i got the spring sorted out as the spring will play a big part on trigger weight as well.

So  time to get the spring sorted.

First i pulled the thing apart again.

With the spring out it was time to cut it down. I took two coils off to see how it went.

Next i needed to grind the end flat. This is very important when cutting down the spring.

Next i needed to get a file and smooth the end down and polish it. This is also very important. If the ends of your spring are rough they will not be able to twist  as the spring compresses and you will get excessive noise from your spring. this is what the finished product looks like

Next i put the gun back together and put it through the chrony. What a surprise it is still pumping out over 1100 fps ! i was not expecting that.

Part two to follow shortly.

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 9:25pm
Next i pulled the gun down again. This time i am working on the front spring guide. I do not want to cut the spring down anymore so i will take some metal off the the spring guide.

As you can see it has a lot of meat to take off and it is big and heavy. this goes inside the piston.

So i put it in my lathe and took around 15mm off the end. I also took the sharp edges off from the factory machining at the same time

With the spring all ready to go it was time to put it back into the gun. First thing i noticed was the spring only sticks out around 10mm now and i had no problems putting the spring back in with out the spring compressor.

Back on the chrony and we now have 950fps perfect :)

Tomorrow i will apply a idea i had to take the "twang" out of the gun from the spring and i will be cutting  down the barrel to around 380mm then i will show you all how to crown the barrel as well.

With a bit of luck it might be ready for the Wellington shoot but we will see.

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 3:14pm
Haven't forgotten about this, I will try to get some more work done on this tonight. The weekend came up faster than expected and ran out of time. And by the looks of it this weekend is almost here now as well...

Edited by Nunga - 02 Apr 2014 at 3:17pm
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 4:59pm
Right got some time today so i did some more on the Hatsan.

Today i installed the Gasram and tested it.

I machined up some new parts as the old ones are made of plastic and will be no use. I decided to make this out of steel and not alloy.

As you can see i have taken out the safety latch and there is a square hole where it used to be. I am going to be making a new trigger for it over the next month or so i wont be needing that anymore.

Next was to put it through the chrony and see how it goes. I used some crosman pellets to test it and it is pumping out 1071 fps which is still way to fast. But there is little recoil now and it is much smoother to cock now. with some heavier 10.4gr pellets should bring it down to under 800fps. But it is tea time now and getting dark. so it can wait for another day now.

Edited by Nunga - 08 Jun 2014 at 5:00pm
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 7:28pm
At that speed it'd sound like a .22 RF going off. Def agree 8.4s too light , might not have a spring to break anymore, but they'd fly all over the place. 10.4s will bring the MV down and should therefore gain some consistency in point if impact.
(Not only that, but as a hunting pellet, good speed + good weight = good terminal energy , not very scientifically written, but the bunnies and possums will understand it ;)
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
Davey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 11:14am
Or you could just file half a mm at a time off of the gas ram stem :-)
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 3:45pm
Doing some more work on this as well tonight. Will post some pictures later with some detailed work on my new trigger i made for it :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic