Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Bow hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trad bow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trad bow
    Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 6:17pm
Heading into an area tomorrow with Wallabies so thought I should take this for a bit of fun should we be in short range of any.

Bear Super Kodiak recurve with victory carbon-trad arrows and two blade broad heads. Okish groups considering its well over a year since I've shot this. Will be alot of fun but if no further updates I missed hahaha

KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 6:40pm
Best of luck with your hunting mate, you sure have a diverse range of hunting equipment in your collection!
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Diana Outlaw .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 6:49pm
Best of luck for your hunting trip Billbob.

If anyone knows a good spot for wallabies, either on public land, or preferably on private land with permission, I'm keen to organise a weekend get together, a few of us "top contributors" meet up for a night or two and see if we can get us some?
Bows get first crack the first afternoon, then from the first evening onwards its open season for bows and air rifles.

Ive only seen one wallabie in NZ, and it was central north island, so one of the little ones (not the big kangaroo looking ones they got on south island), so I recon air rifles from 15FPE and up will do the job.

Anyone interested in joining in and putting together a little 2 night wallabie mission?
HB.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2024 at 8:25pm
Well this was a epic rewarding day.

Was on the track 20mins before day break. Meet the first wallaby white still very dark and I was wondering what the black thing 5m away off the track was... Then it bounded away yep first wallaby seen. Headed up the track, unfortunately spooked some deer on the edge of a clearing and they never presented for a shot even for my buddy who had his .223

Found some wallabies that we shot with the .223 at 200ish meters and then made our way down and out to the edge of the hunting area where it's deer fenced of down that side. I got set up and my buddy went around and over the hill to try and flush what ever animals were there towards me.

Plant worked perfectly and I heard some animals coming and started getting a bit nervous encase as it sounded like deer and I was thinking I'm bound to stuff it up.

Soon 4 wallabies bounded down through the scrub, the first one passed a couple of meters from me but I was fixed on a huge one coming straight towards me. It diverted around me and I send an arrow flying straight over its back at 5m. Nocked another arrow as a smaller one was cooking down the hill and some quick thinking of what went wrong on the last shot, I corrected and slocked it in the chest at 5m on the run.

It barely made it 20m tumbling down the hill.

First for the recurve, and I am absolutely chuffed.

Edited by Billbobnz - 17 Jul 2024 at 8:26pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2024 at 9:00pm
Awsome BB.
Sounds like good evening hunt.
Traditional bow hunting is a great skill to have. Hope you get plenty more đź‘Ť

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2024 at 10:36pm
Well done BB, it often pays to be out there before sun rise.
Did you harvest any meat from your wallabie?
Has anyone tried to eat wallabie? I’ve tried kangaroo before and it was very good.
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 7:40pm
Success! well done. You certainy look pleased with yourself.

Going to change your name to Billbownz
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 11:23pm
Haha thanks you guys.

There is a raw primal feeling of carrying a Trad bow, it ignites you in a way that probably only a spear could make it feel more primitive yet, it is so exciting!

My mate half way through the day was looking at the bow and goes "It doesn't have any Sights!!!!!" Nope completely bare bow!

Haven't tried wallaby, apparently very good and the tails if you use a ox tail recipe is amazing from what I have heard.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 11:25pm
If you want to know what got me into Trad bow, if you have a spare 2 and a bit hours watch this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1vKkSSoNs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 11:52am
The Push - I’ve seen it, awesome documentary and very inspiring 👍🏻

I love oxtail! Do it in a “potjie pot” traditional African 3 legged cast iron pot, slow cooked for at least 6 hours over the coals….
Mmmm!
I think it’s time I tried to get hold of some wallabie tail and give it a try.

No one keen to plan a wallabie mission weekend around rotorua lakes?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic