Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cometa fusion 22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cometa fusion 22
    Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 12:57am
Hi all

my first airgun

A Mea Culpa - I am one of those bastards who said that airguns aren't real guns and while I wasn't paying attention me they have come a long way
Clapped eyes on a Umarex Notos today and rather like the look of it but I'm currently only needing to get rid of a few pests so wanting something that will take it's place in the lineup of 10/22, 17 HMR and suppressed fatty 458x2

I'm in a situation where I have some magpies that annoy me but some horses nearby that I don't want to startle too much for fear of a grumpy other half - you guys know the drill

So apologies for slighting what an airgun is capable of doing out of the way, I'd like to say hello to you all and ask anyone knowledgeable about care and feeding for the Cometa in 22 - what pellets that are available do you recommend please?

Thanks in advance

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 9:59am
https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/umarex-notos-crk-air-rifle-review-22-calibe/

You'll find data on differnt pellets and slugs run through one here. Gun review as well, which is much better than I expected Truthfully.
I'm not sure what the lead in period for your barrel will be, but it will need to settle in.
H&n do sampler pellet packs which can eliminate certain pellets strait off.
Slugs I'm not sure of.
There are better quality slugs and pellets, but the sample packs give you a cheaper way of exploring weights and types.
Gamo pellets be wary of. They don't tend to be very good, but there are exceptions to the rule.
The pcp shooters will be able help more with that.
What ranges are you looking at? What is intended use, once the maggies get wary and start sitting further back. ( air rifle, 22lr,17 hmr would be the pushing back order i guess)
Air rifles around stock are awsome, I shoot a springer at starlings around cattle and they don't even stop feeding.
Lol at the apology.
Air rifles arnt concidered real guns buy many, despite the fact armies have been equiped
with pcp in years gone by. (yep pcp are way older than most people think. Somewhere in 18 hundreds I think they started being used)
If you want more of challange get a springer at some stage. Fussy things for hold, double kick back motion before the pellet has even left the barrel, pellet fussy. Wonderful guns to master.
Anyway welcome aboard. Great to see you adding another aspect to your shooting. Hopefully the pcp shooters will fill you in on tuning to pellets/slugs pros and cons etc.
If your hearts not set on that gun, there may be better options avalible second hand.
The pcp shooters here would be able to advise on that. 👍
308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 8:47pm
Thanks kruzaroad

That's a good point about holding for the spring as the pellet still has yet to leave the barrel - I had heard someone mention it before but the way you say it makes more sense to me
With the Fusion I can see why springers are hard on scopes too

Had heard that Gamo rifles had a poor reputation so will steer clear of the pellets too - range is likely to be sub 70m and sneaking a barrel out of a window whilst a magpie least expects it..

Will check my nearby gunshops Masterton and Wayne in Upper Hutt and gather up a few sample 22s to try at the range - to be honest it's the same thing I did with 22 ammo back when I first got the Ruger 10/22 many moons ago

Yes had heard that PCP guns were used way back in the day - interesting to challenge one's assumptions of what got invented when

I have long had an interest in silent killing so tried a bow and a DeLisle Carbine, I guess a PCP is only a matter of time..

Cheers
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 12:17pm
Welcome 308.

Yea, airguns are very different to 10 or more years ago for sure. I have about 2 hours experience with any form of powder burner, but that's more my situation being close to the city. With airguns I get to shot them at least 2 or n3 times a week either at work or home, and I couldn't do that with a rimfire.

I would say what ever springer you get, spend time just putting plenty of pellets downrange. watch the shot hit before you lift your head and just as Kruz said, the rewards of pulling off a good shot with a springer are surprisingly satisfying I reckon. You will need to be famil;iar to pull off the longer shots you might need for magpies.

PCP are way easier to shoot. Nowdays you can cover a lot more ground with them. Downside is the setup price. Gun and filling equipment, but ammo is way cheaper then rimfire.

Anyway, keen to see which way you go and we are always keen to hear a good tale.

Chyeers
Paul.
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 12:26pm
Just re read my post. I shoot better than my spelling. LOL
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 3:41pm
Due to not doing f all today, been looking at fusion reviews.
It would seem that rws superdome pellets shot well in this gun and produced the best group at 40yards of all I watched. H&n FTT also seemed to have good results.
Air arms deablo field also gave good results but had the odd flyer. That in my view from lots of sorting and weighing them will be a odd ball pellets in tin.
Seems they tend to lean towards a slightly larger head size in 22 being around the 5.53mm.
But each gun decides the pellet it likes.

Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 7:16pm
this is worth considering.

I saw this listing you may be interested in: Weihranch HW97k .22 air rifle https://www.trademe.co.nz/4782503697
308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2024 at 11:26am
Thanks Pauly but will stick with just one at the moment

Will head to the range in the next couple of weeks with one of these H&N sampler packs plus a tin of H&N Barracuda Extreme

As you say practice, practice, practice
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2024 at 6:24pm
If you want 308,I've got some air arms field deablo 16gr, hades 15.89gr, h&n ftt 14.66gr, stoeger x-field 14.66gr, and some gamo red fire (I think) and the one with the ball bearing on it ( both were average but way better than most of gamo pellets I've tried.)
I can send you 20 of each if you want, should be enough for a couple of groups from each to see if it worth going any further with them
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic