Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MTC Optisan Viper 8-32x60 scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MTC Optisan Viper 8-32x60 scope
    Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 10:52pm
Ok so I've gone and bought another scope, an mtc viper 8-32x60, should arrive next week - can't wait.
I've heard good reviews on these, and for the price I got it I doubt I can go wrong :) The 60mm objective should allow for better light gathering - therefore "should" give better clarity for rangefinding..... fingers crossed.
Its a BIG scope, weighing in at nearly 1kg, up near the price of Falcons T50 for a new one, but still only 32x mag, where the T50 is 50x. The SCB reticle (looks like a xmas tree) will be a shock to the eyes after seeing mildots for most of my shooting life, but im certain I can adjust, as it will only be the centre dot that I intend on using :)

Will do a review and comparison to the leapers as I go through setting it up. For now though, here is the blurb and factory specs and packaging list.

MTC VIPER 8-32 X 60IRS 

The MTC Optics Viper is a variable mag riflescope . It is manufactured by Optisan Corporation to MTC Optics specification. Optisan make the Optics for some of the biggest names in Japanese scopes, hence the Optisan slogan "Japan's secret optics". 

KEY FEATURES: 
Fully lockable target turrets 
MTC Optics ever popular MTC SCB reticle 
Thumbwheel adjustable windage and elevation turrents 
Side adjustable IR 
ETE mircrolux fully multi-coated lenses 
Waterproof, fogproof, shockproof and nitrogen purged 
Internal colour-coded metal flip-up covers supplied 

Tube Diameter: 30mm 
Magnification: 8-32 x 
Objective lens diameter: 60mm 
Waterproof, Fogproof, Illuminated
Length: 16.2 in 
Weight: 850g 
Finish: Matte Black

INCLUDES: 
3 inch sunshade 
Metal Flipup covers 
6 inch PA side wheel 
Flip-up adjusting tool 
Scope cover

Edited by (pink)MIST - 11 Mar 2014 at 11:24pm
NZAFTA President
1st place HP springer - 2014 WFTF Worlds
1st place HP springer - 2014 Nats

AA TX200 MK111, Optisan Viper 8-32x60 JSB. VMach, TbT, maestro design.
(pink)MIST View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 12:33am
Package arrived today, no points for guessing what it was, or the smile on my face.

Not a hard one to mount to the TX200, as the leapers is a 30mm tube as well, and the mounts in place (accushot high mounts) had been centered already. 
After taking the leapers 8-32 off, I noted some of the differences, and took pics , but now here it is sitting on the TX with the 150mm sidewheel.

The first thing I noticed was the length.
Both have a 75mm sunshade, but the smaller 56mm objective leapers was actually 40mm longer.
both came in around the same weight (850g) so the general weight and balance of the rifle shouldnt be affected

setting the scope to my eye using the fast focus, was alot easier on the mtc. it seemed to be very snappy in and out of focus, easy to get in focus, and a very sharp reticle image in comparison to the leapers.
Using it to rangefind was equally as snap in/out, making it feel more precise in its ability. Several ranges on the same target brought very consistent results, although the image seemed a little less bright than what the leapers gave. I'll happily settle for precise ranging ability over a brighter (marginally) image.
The illuminated reticle is nice, only lighting the central reticle and not the posts, it also doesnt "flood" the image with the illumination like other scopes do.
Leapers Reticle (std mil-dot) at 32x, focused on trees 40yards away. image is looking through a glass door which is covered in kids handprints (hindsight - i shouldve opened the door :) )

MTC SCB Reticle, at 32x focused on same tree 40 yards away (through the same dirty glass door :) )
illuminated lowest setting

Illuminated highest setting

Turrets on the MTC are larger, and use a push down lock/ pull up to click system. resetting the dial to read zero once  it had been zeroed on target was dead simple with a lock ring. loosen ring and the fascia with the numbers and hash marks spins freely, allowing you to reposition it to read zero and lock it back up, and to do it using one hand .
The leapers turrets are noticeably smaller, and to reposition the dial requires an allen key.
The leapers however has more clicks per revolution, which on an FT course means 99% of your clicks are within the same revolution lessening the likelyhood of dialling a complete rev out by accident.
+1 to the leapers scope for that.
the clicks are audible on both, but the leapers are slightly louder and better defined, both you can feel, and with the larger turrets the MTC is easier to read.
leapers turrets

MTC turrets

The MTC is supplied with internally threaded metal flip up caps, these are very thin but very strong, and are not spring loaded, able to fold back onto the scope. The leapers is a push fit plastic cap, spring loaded, but doesnt go right back onto the scope body. The spring does loose tension with use, and the cap can be blown by the wind, which has affected the light coming into the scope for me a couple times.

The sidewheel on the leapers is available in 80mm or 100mm sizes as an extra ($25-$30)
The MTC is shipped with a factory 150mm PA wheel as standard, an accessory you have to fit your self, but the bigger diameter gives more room for the ranging details to be put in.
On the TX the leapers sidefocus would shift upon recoil, going out of focus and making it difficult to watch the shot. Im happy to say the MTC does not suffer that issue :)
The MTC wheel sits in further as well, with the side illumination dial protruding, which when laying down ina case means the PA wheel and sidefocus dial arent taking the weight of the rifle or stress from any movement.

Ive marked most of my ranges already, from 9 yards to 60, just to cover all possibilities and then some, over the next week ill check my range measurement against my clicks and make sure they all match up, and i'll write up how it handles going a rev over, how well it returns to zero etc

NZAFTA President

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 9:04am
Nice scope. I trust we will be seeing this in Wellington two weeks time?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 9:13am
As long as it's sorted by then :) don't want to travel that far to come 2nd :)

Can't imagine I won't have it sorted
NZAFTA President

nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 12:18pm
Who says you wont come 2nd anyway? :) got my gun sorted now so anything could happen :)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 4:34pm
That's the spirit! :)
NZAFTA President

Coil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 6:58pm
That looks nice, where did you get it from, and how much did it cost
Ruger Air Hawk .177
Weihrauch HW97K .177
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 7:47pm
Right place right time for that one, an ex ft shooter needed to sell it to fund a rim fire project.
Rrp on them is (roughly) around $900 nzd

Alex @ magair is waiting to see it, and may look at the agency for them in nz

Now to decide whether to sell the leapers or not, and if I do , place bets on how quickly it'll go given they're hard to come by now :)
NZAFTA President

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (pink)MIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 12:27am
Update
Did the ranges on the sidewheel today, every 1 yard from 10 - 25, 27,30,35,40,45,50,55
VERY REPEATABLE for range finding, not as bright in the image as mentioned earlier, but 10/10 for repeatable accurate ranging 
I had measured the distances out, and done all the markings, then had a workmate place different objects at marked distances unknown to me. I'd range 5 times on each, getting the same result each time, and tell him the distance. I wish it was a test, as I got them all right :)

Last night I had sat down with the laptop and done the math, velocity-scope height-pellet weight- clicks
After doing the distance markings, I zeroed at a predetermined 29 yards. 3 x 10 shot groups to prove to myself it was right.
then changed scenery and shot close ranges 12 - 13 - 15 yards to make sure the clicks I had figured were on. 13 yards ranged and dialed in, and shot a 5 shot group into a 6.5mm ragged hole.
my target was a simple horizontal and vertical line, and when i was finished the intersect of the lines was gone :) 
(yes I know, I shouldve been working, but the day was too close to perfect to pass up)

So far (apart from the brightness issue) its proving to be a worthy purchase, I guess now I need to take it to the field and see how it likes targets...........
NZAFTA President

ghce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 11:38am
Very nice looking scope, how does the weight on the gun compare to the leapers?
Bit of a shame about about the brightness, for those dollars you would want a nice bright scope how ever maybe this is more of a reflection on how good the Leapers are for the price.
Does the Optisan flare out at high mag as I know some of the leapers can?

Graeme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic