Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Warning to Gmail Users!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warning to Gmail Users!!!
    Posted: 30 May 2024 at 5:38pm
This experience is of particular relevance to members of this forum.

I won't go into specifics at this stage for good reason, but yesterday I found that Gmail had deleted several emails (sent & received) that included the word 'firearms'.

I knew they existed and wanted to check the content of one but after considerable time spent searching (including trash and spam), they were no where to be found.  This indicated to me that they had been removed without my consent as I certainly hadn't deleted them.

Luckily, Google has a recovery tool and I was able to get them back and save them as documents plus forward them to an alternative email server.  However, this tool can only recover emails up to 30 days old, so anything after that will be gone for good.

My other half has been warning me about Gmail for some time now and I've been very skeptical - but no longer!  

I've now changed to a secure alternative called Proton Mail which you can set up to automatically receive emails sent to your Gmail address before it's deleted.  This happened today. A query sent to the receiver of the previously deleted emails responded and I found it in Proton Mail, but it had already been deleted from Gmail which was the address I had used.

Be warned!
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Diana Outlaw .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 9:23pm
Interesting. So if you were communicating with NZ Police about a firearm, so quite a legit conversation, Google may delete it?
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 9:39pm
From my experience - quite likely!

Edited by KiwiTR6 - 30 May 2024 at 9:41pm
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Diana Outlaw .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
Andy-A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 8:39pm
Well!! I have a ProtonMail account, so I've just done the needful, I'll have to look further into it... :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic