Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > New to airguns? > Tips and things to look out for
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your first airgun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your first airgun
    Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 4:25pm
So you are in the market for your first air rifle?. Before you rush out and buy a new gun there are a few things you should consider before you part with your cash. The most common thing people always think is "the more powerful the gun the better" Which in most cases is wrong. If you want to have good success with your rifle in both hunting and target shooting the number one thing to look out for is accuracy. You can have the worlds most powerful air rifle but if your pellet doesn't go where you want you might as well pack your bags and go home it is as simple as that. which brings me to my next point. Pellets. find the right pellet for your gun. Each gun will shoot differently to the other. You can get two guns from the same production line and they will probably like different pellets. Find a pellet that groups well in your gun and stick with it. If you change your pellet you will probably need to set your scope up again as each pellet type has a different size shape and weight and they will all fly through the air differently.

Your gun will take a few hundred rounds to settle in. so do not worry at the start if you can not get the results you were expecting. The more you shoot the better you and your gun will get. It might take 3 or 4 tins of pellets before things settle down.

You do not want a big heavy gun if you want to go hunting. I have a Hatsan MOD125 it is a big and powerful gun, but also it is very heavy. I tend to leave that at home nowadays if i am going out bush because it is just to heavy to carry around for hours on end. I am favoring my less powerful Crosman .22 which has about half the power of my Hatsan but it is also half the weight and it will knock a possum clean out a tree at 30 meters anyway because if my shot placement :) My Hatsan is good around the home for knocking over those pesky rabbits and i can get a good clean head shot up to 80 meters.

The power ranking of your gun. When you get your gun it will have on the side of the box its power in FPS (Feet per second) The first thing i will tell you is to ignore what is on the box because it is just plain BS. The manufactures test these guns with the lightest pellets they can find then they round it up to the nearest 100 fps. So if your box says your gun will shoot at 1000fps,  realistically with a good mid range pellet you will probably get 750-800 out of it which is still powerful enough to kill a rabbit or possum anyway.

more things to remember are, do not leave your spring gun cocked as it will damage your spring if it is cocked to long. Do not fire your gun if there is nothing in the barrel you WILL damage your seal and spring. I have seen salesmen in a sporting shop showing a customer how to cock a gun and then i watched as this guy put the barrel of the gun against the carpet and then pulled the trigger. I feal sorry for the person who brought that gun as it is doomed to fail very quickly.

I hope this helps, Any questions just ask!

patcheye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patcheye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 5:59pm
A good first choice in your selection may get you off on the right foot (no, not right as opposed to left but right as opposed to wrong) and you may learn to appreciate just what an airgun is capable of and just how much fun you can have with one.

What do I mean by "a good first choice"? - Buying an airgun that suits what you need and/or what you want from it. As Nunga said above, the higher powered units are not necessarily the best. Nowadays with advertising bombarding us from the left, right and centre, it is easy to lay your cash on the table thinking you got the latest state of the art technology for a moderate cost, when infact you may be getting real budget stuff relying on your purchase to keep them in business. Just because you saw in the side of the box it comes in - 1000fps - it does not mean you will get a minimum of 1000fps, more that you may get up to 1000fps with the very lightest pellets available,, at your own risk of course,, the risk of damaging the internals of your new technologically innovative airgun,, you know, the one that promised you so much but cost so little, yeah, that one. So take our word for it, these advertising quotes mean little as to your eventual enjoyment or disgust in airgunning. It seems that many airguns leave the factory in less than optimum condition to be used day in, day out, without eventual failure to one degree or another. With "some" of these 1000fps rated rifles, they also might live life on the ragged edge, as they are highly stressed and can be under done to handle those strains, not always but just every now and then. Just visit the forums and read of the pain and agony of unsuspecting new owners who have succumbed to the temptation of a new all-powerful first time air rifle without doing some homework first.

Even after you've made your purchase, you need to pick your pellets. This can be like almost walking the same minefield as you were in making your choice of rifles. There is no one single answer to the "which pellet" question. Each gun unto its own, is all I can add here. The only real way to find out is to try some out and hope to end getting a good accurate pellet for your gun, BUT, it hepls if you start off asking someone who might know. That might mean a chat to either the person who sold you the gun (hopefully you bought it from an airgun shop - as ordinary gun shop or sports shops sometimes know very little about airguns indeed and will sell you anything), or joining a forum - hey - just like the one you could be reading this in. Many times, the guys and gals can give you no end of good advice to at least get you off down the right path for pellet choice. While they may not be able to tell you of which exact one to use, they might be also able to tell you which one not to use...

Now you might also want a scope. Again, you must choose the correct type - ALWAYS buy only airgun rated scopes as spring airguns have their own unique type of recoil which can literally destroy orndinary, even expensive scopes in a very short time, and remember, the more powerful your rifle is, the quicker this can happen. Failure to remember will cost you. Choosing the correct scope(s) first up can save you time and patience as sometimes scope failure can be like a ligerring death, slowly manifesting itself bit by bit,, frustating day by frustrating day until its eventual total failure is obvious...

You hear the saying - "you get what you pay for" all the time nowadays and that's most likely because it becomes more and more true as time rolls on. Why?? Because many manufacturers tend to compete nowadays, not for top honours in quality, but for more sales and lower costs and that makes even some top end brands cut corners in a way that they never did before, introducing less exotic materials (often plain old plastic) into their more powerful gun lineups and even if these plastic parts can foot the bill, there are many people who just run for the hills when they hear about plastics being used in their favourite brands. It doesn't mean that the gun is doomed to fail, just what people perceive to be "less than desirable" makes them back off and look around for other brands or models. As a rule though, there are brands that are considered to be better than others. There is an unwritten hierarchy amongst the airgun manufacturers. I am not going to give you any info here as this can be seen by some differently than by others and can cause many friendly debates on forums - hahahaha...

At the end of the day, it's your call. You can do it the quick way and buy the first thing you see while your blood is hot from the sight of your possible new airgun,, or you can do it the more positive better way - ask in forums and do lots of reading in reviews and tests which litter the internet, just waiting for your eyes to roll over them. Believe me, you'll soon pick up on which airguns do what...
jusepy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusepy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:00pm
My first air gun was a c02 pistol that shot  ball bearings. ( well, it was my dads)
We gave my dad so much grief about wanting to use it and him hiding it again and again he ended up giving it away as he got sick of it.

Well my first air rifle was a gamo cfx underleaver .22 
Wish I never sold it but I was flatting in town and couldn't use it so I sold it.

Next was a Crossman phantom , served its purpose shooting rabbits but was underpowered really for that job.

Umm  , then I swapped a co2 pistol (2240) for a Cometa Fusion .22 , which I still have and have rebuilt . It is a beast of a gun and does everything I ask of it. Has killed hundreds of rabbits , a handful of magpies and a chicken.

I have a scott and Webley .177 rifle as well which is my back up gun , It drops rabbits easily.

So I think that perhaps a lot of research into the gun you are going to get is recommended and feel free to ask some of the gun wizzes on here.

Hopefully next is a PCP rifle when I get my FAL.
Chur thanks for reading my novel.

Edited by jusepy82 - 01 Apr 2020 at 8:08pm
As long as there is lead in the air...there is hope.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 8:17am
havnt been around for a while so only just seen this post,we lost our internet coz bloody calf knocked the top off the phone line box then chewed the cables off,taken chorus several weeks to sort it out,but back online now,the choice of rifles is getting crazy now with so many coming on market since they put pcps on licence,spring and gas ram rifles seem be all thats around these days and its getting hard to know whats best any more,but i think if you stay with the well known and respected brands you should find some thing suitable,and there are often good rifles for sale here by members as well.
 cheers mike
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 8:11pm
Welcome back Mike, I was starting to get worried about you! Glad your ok.

I can't remember what model air rifle I first had, think it was crosman from memory .177 back when we lived in Auckland I was only 15 and got one of my brothers 18yr friends to purchase it for me and kept it well hidden from my parents.... Used to wait till mum was out then would open the garage door a crack and shoot mynahs that I had baited with bread and scraps. Got given a crosman 357 pistol which I then gave to another friend, wish I had kept it as man those are expensive now!
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 7:32am
been a while was starting to get withdrawal symtems mate,life a pain without internet eh!!funny you should mention the crosman co2 revolver,i have just done a full rebuild on on i had in my parts draw for couple of years,and got bit carried away in the process and ended up doing full custom job on it,it started out as a full replacement of the valve and co2 system,then decided to remove all the factory burrs etc from the metal frame/repolish and repaint,but some where in the process got bit carried away,as them reshaped the pistol grip/made new set of walnut grip panels for it,removed the factory plastic barrel rib,and machined up a new alliminium barrel rib with and 11mm dove tail for optics,its now a rather nice co2 revolver,had seen the prices going up on trade me the other day,getting to be rediculous,but i guess that was bound to happen the way things have become here now.
 cheers mike
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 7:22pm
That sounds like a beautiful result.

How is your .25 pcp pistol going that you made. Are you interested in making another one or sharing working drawings so I can make one?

I've got in mind to make a pcp powered airbow for archery arrows. Does anyone know if you need a FAL before I make one? Possibly another grey area hahaha.

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:02am
the pcp revolver is 22 cal,my next build is going to be a 25cal lever action rifle ,i now have most of what i need to start the rifle so hope to start on that this year,the pistol going fine,still working on it tho,had some design issuses with valve am sorting out,wasnt sealing properly.
 dont have any real drawings for the revolver other than the few origional drawings i did some years ago and they pretty bassic mate,most of it in my head,so bit hard to explain,but you welcome to drop in next time you down,have look at it and i can pull it down and you can see how its made and we can take few measurements and make up some drawings to get you started,but warn you there is some pretty tricky machining needed to make some parts that requires some specilized tooling,most parts made on a mill,and you will need a rotery table to make them,but i do have an experimental bolt action pistol breech here thats lot easier to make that will take up to 38cal that might interst you,this is a very strong breech with a steel to steel lock up thats a little different to the usual bolt action breech and all easy machine work imade it using the mill but i could be made using a lathe with the right tooling,you should have look at it first but think you will like it,it will take maruader mags.which are cheap and readily available from youngs,i have 10in piece 22 barrel you can have as well.
 you proberly need to drop in next time you down mate.
 cheers mike
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:41am
Thanks Mike, I will let you know next time I'm at my in-laws in New Plymouth. I want a good challenge of a project and a complete ground up build has always been in the back of my mind. Keep in touch.
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 12:05pm
will do that,we can allways make it a joint project,i can possibly machine things you may not be able to and visa versa mate been a while since have done a joint project,because of where i live i dont see many like minded people,as you know am not easy to find eh!!!most the time i like it that way,but allways nice to kick things around in person with some one else with same interests at times,PM  me and we can swap email addresses etc as i dont really like putting some my ideas or what i do on open forums the way things are these days.
 cheers mike 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic