Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lobbying for change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 12:29pm
Yeah I just go by 5fpe at target min, with head shot. Bump that up for a possum. Bump that up for body shot at distance.
Check out the fpe over distance graph, in gun chair and move to suit or don't shoot.
Saves a lot math.
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 6:17pm
A thought. If airguns are restricted by power, how does that effect archery and slingshots.

Am i right in saying that there is no restriction on them?

Would lobbying for change cause these to be looked at too?

In my industry, changes have bought unwanted attention from intellectuals sitting behind screens to hail down restrictive registration changes on products we use without consulting the industry itself.
Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 8:57am
My 0.02c ...  I'm not sure where 12 ft/lb comes from (apart from the UK), we wouldn't need to follow that - especially as we have a more legitimate reason for needing higher fpe for pest control.

Personally I would allow PCP's up to say 30 ft/lb, and leave the legislation alone for spring operated guns as they tend to be self-limiting for mechanical reasons (I don't think you're gonna get a 50 fpe springer).

Interesting to note the legislation as it stands does not apply to multi pump guns (example my Sharp Innova) which does not require a FAL but can get up to 18-20 fpe.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 1:06pm
This site recons 58fpe is fatal less if hit in vital.
Shows few videos of differnt objects being shot with air rifle.
Turns out at 12fpe England is by no measure the lowest fpe unlicenced.
https://airguntactical.com/pages/airguns-fpe-lethality-chart#:~:text=According%20to%20%E2%80%9CHomicide%20Using%20an,pellets%20strike%20in%20key%20positions.

Edited by kruzaroad - 12 Jul 2024 at 1:06pm
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 1:15pm
Oh it's believed the 12fpe law came, Englands air guns weren't able to compete with the foreign companies, espially in power so put a 12fpe limit on, affecting how many imports could get to market.
At that stage English air rifles were about 10fpe, so 12 gave them a bit of play room.
There is another theory that it was picked on ability for small game verses ability to harm people aswell
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 7:12pm

Interesting to note the legislation as it stands does not apply to multi pump guns (example my Sharp Innova) which does not require a FAL but can get up to 18-20 fpe.
[/QUOTE]

Anyone know what the big Hatsan .30cal break barrel can produce?
I dont know my self, but I'm sure it must be around 30FPE... no licence required for that, or for any other springer, they all licence free.

So anyone who is too lazy to apply for a firearms licence and pass a simple MULTIPLE CHOICE test, really cant complain and say they cant do pest control because of a lack of equipment.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 7:28pm
Kruza, I dont buy that story about 12FPE limit being imposed on UK residents to limit imports because local made ones could only produce 10FPE... Nonsence. (I know its not your theory, just saying I dont buy it).
Some of the best air rifle manufacturers in the world are based in the UK and have been making air rifles for decades.
BSA made millions of fire arms that fought through (and won) both world wars, you dont think they could produce an air rifle stronger then 10FPE???

A 100% more likely origin of the 12FPE law was to limit air rifle power for "the safety of the general population" but to still allow the ethical hunting of small game.
And having had extensive use of 12FPE air rifles for many many years there is no argument that they are perfectly sufficient for the hunting of small game.

Edited by RangerPete - 12 Jul 2024 at 7:31pm
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 3:25pm
I dont buy into the 10pfe either. heck, my TX200 which is made in the UK is 18FFE off the shelf. i had to get a low power kit for it.

The .30 Hatsan puts out 30 FPE off the shelf.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 3:48pm

Yeah that law is 55 years old.
Things have changed a lot in that time.
Espially the power output of springer units.
Hell it's 1 year younger than I am, and the air rifles I played with growing up don't even compare for power.
Hmmm except a double spring Chinese gun that was made for training troops in kick back. Actual gun was made shoody but it certainly had power.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic