Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

.177 Pellet Gauge Head Size Checker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2024 at 1:18pm
Tillys gun stock has a pellet gauge he uses and it's basically a tapper slot in a block of metal with sizes marked of I between. I'll see if I can find the video.
ae25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ae25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2024 at 3:40pm
Gotcha. Yep can make. I run a 3axis cnc mill which cuts accurately.  I'd suggest a narrower piece of stainless flat bar with the middle pocketed out to 2mm thick.  then end plates screwed on to hold it off the table?  I'll knock up a drawing and go from there.. see what you think
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2024 at 3:54pm
Here is a good article about using the exact pellet gauge that Myson posted a picture of at the start of this thread.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2015/05/testing-the-177-pelletgage-part-1/

And here is a picture of a different type of pellet gauge. This would be much quicker to use, but I’m not sure how the wider skirt would effect or not effect the head measurement πŸ€”

Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2024 at 4:01pm
Ok, so this is supposedly how a pellet slides through this β€œdrop in” type of gauge. The side view diagram shows that the skirt slides through a cut out area, so it’s only the head that gets measured.

ae25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ae25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2024 at 4:51pm
I'd think the hole gauge would be more accurate as it measures roundness rather than two points of contact. If the slug is out of round then the diameter measurement will be wrong on the slot gauge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2024 at 5:42pm
Agreed.
Any chance you could make something with holes in it like that?
ae25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ae25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2024 at 6:44pm
Yes. Found some 50x3 s/s flat bar at home so ill make something similar for ya.  Pellet sits below the bottom with the 3mm stock thickness so can push it back up and grab pellet from the top.  assuming that's how its done.  though a pocket on the top would help stop dropped slugs rolling off too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2024 at 9:12pm
Awesome thanks,
Looks like it should be perfect πŸ‘πŸ»
ae25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ae25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2024 at 7:22pm
Could have both styles in one. But youd have to hold the pellet whilst sliding down the slot.  Would that be practical?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2024 at 9:02pm
Looking good so far πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
I think the holes would be easier to use as well as more accurate than the β€œslide”.
Probably only need the holes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic