Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Bow hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting back into it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 1:14pm
Cheers BB.
The more in depth talk of how the shoulder muscles work and the way to find your anchor point was awsome.
Quite liked that resistance band too. I think get something similar and use it for technic training before I jump on the bow. It will allow me more focus, and strengthen my string fingers.
Great video thanks
Just shows how little I knew, but got away with hunting with one. Might have to tag them as lucky shots. It really was just nock you arrow level, pull back, aim shoot.
Think I'll drop the sight and just train for eye from the start.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 2:20pm
Yeah well resistance band went bye bye.
Just brought a 20lb draw recurve to get my muscles working, get my technique right and I'll use it for small game at some stage. Jumped the gun going 60lb draw strait off I think. From what I'm seeing online, I need to start from scratch and build up my form and strength before anything.
Seems a light bow is best for that.

Edited by kruzaroad - 10 Sep 2024 at 2:22pm
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 7:58pm
A 60pound recurve straight out the gate is quite ambitious.
I shoot a 62 pound compound, but I doubt I could hold 60 pounds at full draw long enough to be accurate and hit anything
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 10:34pm
I went 60lb for my first recurve and man it was some work to build up some strength!! My son got given a kids bow and I don't even know what lb bow it is but he can draw it almost to full draw. It's actually fantastic to shoot and I wouldn't hesitate to try small game with it.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 11:29am
Turns out my 20lb is a junior bow.
Lesson one in buying bows, don't go for the bow that says beginner but not junior, look at draw length and bow length.
Strapped up arm and got away with a few shots till it said whoa.
40m was as far I got it to fire! Less than an air rifle.
Still started using it for practicing my draw, concentrated on shoulder muscle movement. That's gonna work out well for rifle shooting, constantly exersing that shoulder through a wider range of movent.
Fingers work well with it being light, but I'm going to have to customise some finger tabs for it. The strings sits nice in fingers being just in front of the first joint on finger next to little finger, on the little finger right near the tip. It's going to be interesting to see how it affects my trigger finger. Even after the few shots I did, it became blantly obvious that without a finger tab the tips would lose sensitivity, which ain't no good for gun trigger pull sensitivity.
All said and done it will serve it's purpose well as a training bow and I'm glad I dropped to something with a lesser pull and have a pratice bow. Worth the hundy bucks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 5:02pm
Do I remember you saying your missing some fingers?
Is that on your bow hand or your drawing hand?
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 6:58pm
Draw hand. They've been gone for years so the two I have are rather strong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 2:00pm
Would be interesting to see how that impacts on your release.
With compound bows, I’ve been considering changing my competition shooting “style” from unlimited (using a mechanical thumb release) to limited, which is shooting with fingers.
The smoothest release with fingers is to draw “normally”, how ever your normal is, then when u r at full draw slip one finger off the string, (holding with two), then slip another finger off the string so only holding with one, whilst aiming the whole time, then release with last finger. Obviously with practice the whole process can be performed quite smoothly and quickly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic