Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi from Franklin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi from Franklin
    Posted: 18 Sep 2024 at 8:12am
Pellets are really slow moving and not the best aero dynamics.
They are drag stabalise by design and from what I can work from info I've read, have rifling spin primarily to stop destabilising from the air blast upsetting the pellet from behind as it leaves the barrel.
A conical nose promotes a smooth air flow over the front of a projectile.
Pointed projectiles are suseptable to nose damage hence affecting flight.
The expansion from a springer is not enough from any pellet to warrenty fancy heads (in my view) . Though I use hades over AA as it has a way better whack when hitting. No actual preformance differance I can specifically tag. AA shoot just as well and better at distance same gun.
Through my research the two main factors too look for will be dye number and batch run number when you find a pellet your rifle likes and head damage
If you want to experiment sort out a few good pellets then damage the head on a couple and see if they hit as accurate. Distance will amplifie the reseault.
Expect veriation in head size and pellet weight whatever brand you buy.
Slugs are way more effective but as of yet haven't heard of any a springer likes.

Edited by kruzaroad - 18 Sep 2024 at 8:18am
ae25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ae25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2024 at 7:50am
Awesome info. Yea have seen many references to the domed diabolo being best. (Since buying that last tin).
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2024 at 6:25am
I'd skip fancy hollow points and all the other wierd type hunting pellets and go for a deablo (rounded head) they seem to be the best for knockdown and distance.
I've had good success with h&n field target trophy 14.66gr. All of my rifles can shoot them well. It's light for .22 pellet.
Jsb hades I've found good over shorter distance 30/40m haven't pushed them further as they drifted a bit from the gun I use them in. It's very low powered gun mind.
Air arms deablo field 16gr is another pellet all my guns have shown good results with. They actullay shoot better over distance out of my bird gun.
I'll be running them the weihrauch again soon to see if i can tighten up on last time I tested them. If so both the rifle and 1322 will be switched to them.
I prefure 16gr pellets myself, lot of ppl seem to prefure 18gr
I've found 16gr totally effective over distance with good knockdown power.

Edited by kruzaroad - 18 Sep 2024 at 6:28am
ae25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ae25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 9:42pm
Sitting up on the shed it's around 35m to the tree line where most of em pop out from.  Half the year we're surrounded by open paddocks and theres a good 100m+ looking down some of the boundary trees. So further I can target accurately the better
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 4:27pm
What distance are you shooting?
ae25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ae25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2024 at 1:23pm
Nice. Im pretty set on the .22 size.  I suspect theres a pellet problem on the crosman. Have a packet of cometa sharp point and some other hollow point I got from hunting'n'fishing.  both of em wont seat flush in the barrel so when cocked it burrs over the back end of the pellet.  Will have to try those better brands. Get a sample pack maybe.

On the cometa 400, cant find anyone selling them new online in nz.  indent order only maybe?  and just a couple places with the Fusion. Youngs and airgunsnz in whangarei.  People recommend the 400 but is it just the open sights, moderator and shorter barrel options that people prefer?
The moderator would be nice so I wonder can the air stripper on a Fusion be removed and a moderator adapted? Or adapt one over the top of the stripper heh.
My main use is sitting up on the shed shooting down. Bunnies here are pretty skittish so too much noise is gon scare em back to the bush/burrows.  Used a subsonic .22 rimfire with suppressor once and got 10 bunnies in the eve. They didn't know what hit em.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 9:29am
One thing that you will find out pretty quickly is every airgun likes different pellets. Its just a fact of life. You will need to try a different bunch till you find one that the gun likes. Stay away from gamo ammo they are crap. JSB AA and H&N are your best bets when choosing ammo. The crosman at 10 meters should be driving nails at that distance. The triggers are crap but you can adjust them to a point. better off getting a replacement trigger and it will be a different gun.

You wont get a "twang" shooting that gun because it doesnt have a spring and it is the spring that gives it the twang when fired.

the .177 will pierce more easily because it is smaller. But the downside of that is the pellet will go right through the target and if your shot placement is off the animal will probably run away. .22 has more knockdown power and less likely to go all the way through which is what kills the animal.

2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 8:16am
Flyers just seem to be a air gun thing. I've found sorting pellets cuts that down.
So do better quality manufactured pellets (if your rifle likes them)
Having said that I'm using a not what I would consider a top line pellet at moment as gun likes em more than than better constructed higher brands.
ae25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ae25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 12:00am
Cheers Pete.  Ive read that the .177 pellet can pierce through deeper and has a flatter trajectory than a .22.  I seem to think both calibre fired at same FPS that the .22 will have more FPE at the target.  
Been watching some of your bunny factory vids.  nice gear you have!  that night ranging with elevation line is next level!

Today I visited my old man. Knew he had a china slug gun.  turns out to be a Crosman shockwave NP .22 so I've borrowed that to keep me from making uneducated purchases.  shooting at an old fridge at 10m in the wind wasnt the most accurate.  felt powerful enough. No twang but pretty loud action.  trigger is horrible. Heaps of creep on 2nd stage. Might be able to tune it out? Also have to knock the barrel to crack it open.
Walked the boundary and knocked over a bunny sitting in the grass at bout 6m away.  Then a hare slowly hopping along on the neighbours side but couldn't be arsed fetching it so let it be. Pheasants and pooks everywhere too. 

Good call on the Cometa's.  From googling..  they review well. Good bang for buck as a hunting springer.  accurate to at least 40m.  3 barrel lengths. I think the full length would suit me best? The compact and USC have moderators tho.  Seem to be the odd one that fire flyers and the spring are known to break.  Not many if any Fenix 400 online on nz sites? Just the Fusion.  Keen to own one.  it's not a HW, AA or diana 54 but not too far from them? Loved the youtube cometa shop tour.. now understand what hammer forged barrels are.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 4:52pm
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.
Hope you get your old springer up and running again.
If your interested in Weihrauchs, they are excellent rifles, even a second hand one will be the sort of thin you can pass down to your kids one day. Super German engineering and worth the money.

Also, dont be scared of a .177. Provided it has enough energy behind it, if you put your pellet in the right place they kill just as dead as a .22 or a .25.
There is nothing wrong with the eye shot, depending on the angle that you are looking from (or being looked at) it can be the most direct route to the brain, and if you are looking for the fastest, "dead right there" shot, that will be the one.

Hope to see you getting active on the forum.

Pete.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic