Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > New to airguns? > Tips and things to look out for
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FX Dreamline Classic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FX Dreamline Classic
    Posted: 03 Oct 2024 at 3:29pm
You lot have got me changing my plans.
I'm going to sell a couple of 22LRs and buy a PCP.

I'm way to traditional and have a bias against any rifle that looks like a military or "tactical" one. 
I'm not judging anyone else but that's my preference.

I'm a interested  in the FX Dreamline, likely in wood and .177 for bunnies and targets.

Please comment or if you think there's a better choice - I'm keen on everyone's opinion and I know almost zero about PCPs but I really like the adjustable power, the accuracy, and the quietness of PCPs for safer use in my back yard Also to avoid as far as possible the fools who hate firearms because a few foolish maniacs shoot people with them. I have dive tanks so filling them is no issue and of course have a Firearms Licence currently being renewed but it's legal while i go through that process.

It is possible you could talk me into a different style of rifle so if you think I'm missing out on some good options purely through my illogical bias than please let me know.

I have no problem with buying used as long as it's in great nick but I'm no engineer and won't be doing mods myself. I'm likely to be able throw a couple of K at a PCP after selling the LRs.

I'm in no great hurry and like I say, need to sell a 10/22 in plastic and stainless and I think the other is a Savage, both scoped at least one silenced but I'll offer them here first. I likely won't be after top $ but a reasonably quick sale.

Thanks guys. 

I know I'll get some helpful information from you generous and knowledgeable forum people I also know I need it. :-)

KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2024 at 4:50pm
It's a lovely gun, super lightweight (and I mean lightweight) plus deadly accurate.  They are a superb PCP and probably the best value for money on the NZ market in my humble opinion.

Mine is used for bench-rest target shooting only.  The bottle upgrade I installed yesterday cost me around $500.

FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Diana Outlaw .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
JasonEdward View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2024 at 5:00pm
Thanks KiwiTR6,
Lightweight is what I am after as I'd have to spend a lot of time at the gym - and I don't do gyms, although my scales tell me I really should  - to be able to hold my HW or Diana steady enough for ANY kind of accuracy in standing shots. If they weighed a lot less I likely would stick with springers. Bonus is I would expect greater accuracy for bunnies, especially given I am no kind of expert shot. Perhaps competent would be all I would expect, but I would like to have a dabble at FT and plan to go take a look at a local-ish club shoot sometime soon.   I enjoy casual shooting in my back yard at about 14 m and you experts have encouraged me to get more serious about it and stretch my shooting a little so this morning I found I can shoot 23 m / 25 yards across my back yard. But only just and it would need to be benched as the driveway drops away from the grass. 

Thanks again - your advice is exactly what I'm after. Now Pete needs to tell me if the Dreamline is a decent bunny killer... :-)
Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2024 at 5:26pm
I reckon you could consider an Air Arms S510. I have had one in .177 that I put into a bullpup stock and it was very accurate. Pete now has it.

I used to shoot FT and had an AA EV2, and I felt that the S510 was just as accurate as the dedicated target gun.

I used to have a dreamline in the "dreampup" form. Was .22 and very light compact.

If you like tactical look, consider the new S510 T. Regulated and adjustable power. Excellently built guns.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2024 at 5:46pm
Hi Mark, anyone here will tell you that Dreamlines are excellent guns. I used one for about a year and it accounted for many bunnies!
There are a few different manufacturers and models that I have my likings for, but if you ask 10 different people what is the best PCP, you'll probably get 10 different answers... Ok, maybe 6.    But you know what I mean.

Any FX is going to be good, especially the newer models.
Air Arms are super rifles too, I have loved all of mine. Excellent rifles.
Weihrauch makes two PCP's, and in my opinion any Weihrauch is a world class gun and worth owning.
If you have deep pockets Daystate make excellent air rifles, albeit over priced and over rated in my humble opinion.

After you have ticked a few basic boxes, which many PCP's these day can do, then its just down to your own personal preferences and fancies.
Ergonomics should play a big part in your rifle choice, which is one of the difficult things about buying unseen (unheld) rifles from trade me. There is no substitute for being able to hold and shoulder a rifle, and preferably shoot it, before you decide to buy it.
Trade me is a good place to keep an eye on, and if something pops up that you like just ask questions about it here.
Theres even a good chance that it might be a member on this forum who is selling it!
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
JasonEdward View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonEdward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2024 at 10:23pm
Thanks Pauly and Pete,
TBH the FX being $400 bucks cheaper was the main reason to look at the FX. My father came from the North of England and very close to Scotland we may as well be tight-fisted Scots and we like The Drink too.

But I'll take a closer look at the AA - that raised cheek piece looks like it might be good for a scoped rifle. Best I go and play with them.

Like I say need to sell the 10/22 LR to justify adding a PCP to my collection...I'll likely keep the bolt action cheapie as it's value means it's hardly worth selling. If anyone's interested in the Ruger please let me know. 

Cheers
M

Pauly5 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2024 at 8:19am
I reckon the FX will be lighter too. I would have recommended an AGT Uragan, but it's a heavier gun. The one I have is superbly accurate and they have a really good shot count.

You could see what it will cost to import your own gun from somewhere like Krale in Holland if you can be bothered with police permits etc. In my experience I have saved a few hundred dollars by doing this.

I would echo Pete's comments about Daystate too. I really like them, but I haven't got on with the ones I have played with apart from a Daystate Panther.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic